Welthungerhilfe is currently seeking applications from the eligible applicants for the post of Technical Expert – Climate Change Resilience in south sudan.
Are you aiming to work for an organization where it is worthwhile investing your personality, your skills and your time? Are you looking for a job that is exciting and has clear goals? Welcome to Welthungerhilfe!
We are one of the largest and most respected private organisations for development cooperation and humanitarian aid in Germany. As a politically and confessionally independent organisation, our value-oriented actions are always based on ethical principles. Our vision is clear: “Zero Hunger by 2030” – If you want to become part of our global community to end hunger around the world, we look forward to receiving your application as:
Technical Expert – Climate Change Resilience*
The position is to be filled as soon as possible, with an initial contract duration of one year. There are good prospects for an extension. Employment location will be Juba, South Sudan.
As Climate Change Resilience (CCR) Expert you will provide technical expertise to mitigation and adaptation to climate change in Welthungerhilfe’s (WHH) project areas in rural South Sudan. You will develop innovative climate-smart solutions as integral part of transforming local food systems, in particular focusing on local value chains and natural resource management for improved coping mechanisms of citizens in rural areas of South Sudan. In your role, you will contribute to proposal development through proposing feasible innovative local solutions and represent Welthungerhilfe in technical internal/ external exchange events. You will be expected to analyse ongoing research related to climate change adaptation and synthesize findings for the adaptation under the country program. Your experiences in climate change adaptation will also steer Welthungerhilfe’s Disaster Risk Management approaches (with particular focus on risks related to flooding, drought, pests, livestock diseases).
In order to achieve deliverables, you will collaborate closely with the Head of Programmes, Emergency Programme Coordinator, Heads of Projects, WASH Sector Lead, MEAL Manager and HQ-based advisors (Donor Unit, Sector Unit).
- Develop innovative technical climate-smart solutions in line with WHH’s country strategy for South Sudan and WHH’s global strategy, with particular focus on climate-smart food systems
- Collect and synthesize information from various sources (studies, best practices, research papers, etc.) with relevance to the South Sudan context, conduct analysis of acquired information and translate results into revised/adapted programming approaches for WHH’s areas of intervention in South Sudan
- Provide technical advice and guidance to the Head of Projects and project teams on climate adaptation in their various projects and sectors with focus on adaptation/ mitigation to extensive flooding/ drought scenarios and improved natural resource management
- Lead the development of guidelines for climate adaptation in local food systems, training manuals and facilitate specialized workshops (face-to-face, virtual) for internal and external audiences
- Carry out disaster- and climate-related screening of projects incl. vulnerability, resilience, climate risk assessments in order to develop locally relevant risk concepts
- Actively promote Welthungerhilfe’s climate innovation approaches externally towards donors, in Clusters, and towards other relevant stakeholders as agreed
- Actively contribute to learning and innovation processes on climate solutions within Welthungerhilfe’s network
- In coordination with the Grants and Reporting Manager, provide technical expertise and actively contribute to the development of innovative proposals, ensuring technical correctness in reporting
- In cooperation with the MEAL Manager, support structured learning in the projects, needs assessments and technically advise on evaluations
- A university or polytechnic degree in environmental science, agriculture with focus on climate change adaptation/ innovation, natural resource management or comparable relevant studies
- At least 5-years’ experience of practical leadership on climate change adaptation/ innovation processes that meet sustainability criteria in interdisciplinary/ multi-sector programs, preferably within the development sector
- Demonstrated experience in producing high-quality written materials (concepts/ strategies, training materials, etc.), grounded on fact-based interdisciplinary research across agriculture, environment (natural resources) sector and sustainability in development settings
- Direct experience in co-developing winning proposals on climate innovations to institutional donors
- Global experience of working in a multi-cultural setting required; familiarity with the South Sudan context is an advantage
- Experience in facilitating group processes, workshops, technical meetings
- Able to work well in a multi-cultural team environment, be responsive to changes in the context or work requirements, handle multiple assignments and meet tight deadlines
- Strong organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Readiness to receive necessary vaccinations for traveling to Welthungerhilfe’s programme countries
- Excellent communication skills, including fluent spoken and written English; Arabic and/ or German language skills would be an asset
We offer you the opportunity to work in a responsible and interesting field as part of an extremely dedicated team. Welthungerhilfe attaches great importance to the personal and professional development of its employees and the balance of their work and private life. Remuneration is based on our gender-independent salary scale. In addition, Welthungerhilfe offers numerous other benefits, which are listed under “Our benefits”.
Please send your application via our online recruiting system by August 7, 2022. Your contact person is Ina Stepka. Welthungerhilfe is committed to fighting terrorism in all its activities. Accordingly, any applicant who is offered employment will be screened against lists of known and suspected terrorists.
*Welthungerhilfe values diversity and ensures an inclusive, non-discriminatory working environment. We welcome applications from suitably qualified people from all sections of the community.